This week we welcome as new members.
Opportunities for Action
Age UK London is running a series of workshops for small groups, organisations and forums that work with and for older Londoners. This includes promoting the Know Your Rights Campaign to promote the take up of pension credit in London. Action Learning Workshop for Older People’s Organisations. For venue details and to download the flyer click here.
On 08 April Government published a consultation on the Warm Home Discount. This consultation document sets out what the Warm Home Discount (WHD) scheme has achieved since its introduction in April 2011 and government proposals for changes to the scheme for tax year 2016 to 2017. It also seeks views on some aspects of the WHD scheme after 2016/17, including who will receive the rebate in future scheme years. To download click here
- In last week’s update we drew member’s attention to “The Dementia Guide for Carers and Care Providers.” Unfortunately the link did not work properly. We are therefore happy to provide you with the correct link. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/616261
- Public Health England has launched the Older People’s Health and Wellbeing Profile which can be used to examine the health and care of older people across local authorities in England. The indicators presented in this profile underline the scope to improve health outcomes by ensuring that all older people receive the opportunities, care and support delivered in the best-performing localities.
The information will be of use to the wide range of organisations with an interest in the health and care of older people. It will help those responsible for delivering strategies for prevention and early intervention to improve the health and wellbeing of older people as well as providing evidence and intelligence to support the development of Joint Strategic Needs Assessments for their local area.
There are 95 indicators included in the Older People’s Health and Wellbeing profile at different geographic. The indicators bring together existing data from a variety of sources and are organised into 6 domains:
- Deaths in 65’s and over
- Hospital Stays in 65’s and over
- Population Profile
- Public Health Outcomes Framework – Selected indicators for older people
- Sensory Impairment
- Social Care
- This week saw the launch of the new State Pension. The new State Pension is a regular payment from the Government that you can claim if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016. For more information click here
- Ken Clemens Chief Executive Age UK Cheshire writes “ Hello AAA – Though not specifically on “later life”…I do like this new guide to #crowdfunding from the team @MisfitsMedia…of interest to organisations working with older people? http://www.socialmisfitsmedia.com/downloads/Make_It_Rain.pdf”mAKE “
- Alliance member Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion (enei) has recently published details of their recent conference which focused on Inclusive Leadership… driving performance through diversity. To find out more about this and the work of enei. Please click here.
- Alliance member Age UK London produces a regular newsletter which captures details of funding opportunities. To download the March edition please click here. Please note content is not just limited to London.
- ‘A Practical Guide to Healthy Caring’ is co-produced by NHS England, Carers UK, Carers Trust, Age UK and Public Health England. It provides information and practical advice to help carers look after their own health and points them towards a range of support that can help them in their caring role.
The guide aims to support the 5.4 million carers and in particular the 1.2 million cares aged over 65, who make a critical and often underappreciated contribution not only to loved ones, neighbours and friends but to the very sustainability of the NHS itself.
The Practical Guide to Healthy Caring is a companion guide to A Practical Guide to Healthy Ageing that was originally published in January 2015 and updated in October 2015.
Both guides are in an A4 magazine style and can be ordered free by contacting Prolog, the NHS publications order line, either by phone on 0300 123 1002 or online at www.orderline.dh.gov.uk Quote reference HC1for the Healthy Caring Guide and HA2 for the Healthy Ageing Guide. As well as carers’ organisations and members of the public, it is hoped GPs, pharmacists and Fire and Rescue Services will order and distribute the Guide.