Opportunities for Action
- Saltbox have made us aware of two OPEN – Older People’s Engagement Network events on Thursdays 18 and 25 May for over-50s in Stoke-on-Trent to meet Council members and give feedback on Day Opportunities services or priorities for their local environment. Both events are free to attend. Click on the dates above for the registration details.
- Age UK Lambeth Coach trip to Eastbourne Fancy a coach trip to Eastbourne? There are tickets still available for the chance to visit Eastbourne and have a fab day out on Bank Holiday Monday 29 May! Click here for details on how to register to attend.
- The next Bristol Older People’s Forum meeting is packed full of information on opportunities, research, support and more. There will be no less than 6 speakers, and 10 organisations will be attending with stalls. There will be time to ask questions, as well as to informally network, chat and see the stalls. The date is Thursday 25 May at Broadmead Baptist Church (Union St, opposite Poundland, just down from Tesco Express). The venue is fully accessible. Everyone is welcome, no need to RSVP, refreshments available. Click here for full details, including the agenda for the day.
For your information
- National Energy Action (NEA) and British Gas have now launched this year’s Energy Impact Award scheme with a first prize of £10,000, and two runner-up prizes of £5,000 and £2,500 recognising and rewarding innovation and best practice. The scheme is open to community groups, charities, and other third sector organisations. Local authorities, health agencies, and other public and statutory organisations are also eligible to apply and they are specifically looking for applications which demonstrate partnership working. Agencies from both England, Scotland and Wales are welcome to apply. The scheme will close on Friday 19 May; shortlisting and judging will take place in June 2017 and winners will be informed thereafter. Click here for more information.
- Norma Raynes on the BBC Radio 4 Today Programme Norma is described as “a grandmother, Chief Executive of the charity From Generation2Generation, which aims to create innovative local solutions to the problems facing young and old people by bringing them together to support and inspire each other.” Read about this interview with Norma here.
- We need your support to integrate music in the care of older adults! Age Action Alliance member Musica Music and Wellbeing CIC have a crowdfunder project aiming to embed music into the care provision of older adults in care settings. Read more about it here.
- Ageing Nepal have published their May 2017 Issue of Voice of Senior Citizens for your information, use and sharing. Click here to download your copy.
- BT Basic is a low-cost scheme for BT customers on specific means-tested benefits. Line rental is just £5.10 each month, or line rental and Broadband for £9.95. Customers benefit from inclusive calls and a new ‘price cap’ to help manage call costs. Click here for more details of the scheme.