- The BBC Searches for the Wisdom of the Old as a Treasure to Share with Young People by Norma Raynes, Chief Executive and Grandmother, From Generation to Generation.
Opportunities for Action
- Carers Week is an annual campaign by Carers UK to raise awareness of caring, highlight the challenges carers face and recognise the contribution they make to families and communities throughout the UK. Carers Week 2017 will take place from Monday 12 to Sunday 18 June 2017. They are continuing the focus on building Carer Friendly Communities, which support carers to look after their loved ones well, while recognising that they are individuals with needs of their own. The campaign is brought to life by the individuals and organisations who come together to organise activities and events throughout the UK, drawing attention to just how important caring is. Click here to find out more, and perhaps see how you could get involved.
- Cupcakes for Alzheimer’s Thursday 15 June is Cupcake day where many people will be raising money for the Alzheimer’s Society. Whether you’re a baking pro or shop bought lover, organise a Cupcake Day and raise money to fight dementia! Click here to see how you may get involved.
- The Happy Older People Annual Report 2016 -17 is available now, and there are both long and short versions available to read. Thank you to all those who supported and connected with HOP last year, particularly those who connected through the HOP Pot programme. Click here to read the report. The next HOP network meeting will be taking place on Wednesday 21 June, from 1.30pm – 3.30pm at Blackburne House. Confirmed speaker is Claire Cowell from Age Friendly Manchester who will be presenting about how this city connects with older audiences. Please RSVP on 0151 478 4066 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to attend.
- How do you take your coffee? A performance of Playback Theatre welcoming stories on this theme. What is your relationship to coffee? For some their first coffee is the essential kick-start to the day, for others the aroma is irresistible but its effect on the nervous system is intolerable and others won’t buy it unless it’s fairly traded… The performance is on Thursday 06 July. Click here for booking details.
- Age UK Hythe and Lyminge welcomes all to their Summer Fair on Saturday 15 July at Oaklands Park, Hythe. The beautiful setting of Oaklands Park will be the stage for a spectacular event organised by Age UK Hythe and Lyminge. They will be re-creating the perfect Village Fete – stalls selling crafts, books and bric-a-brac, traditional games, music, dancing and refreshments! Click here for further information.
For your information
- The Lovejoy Centre have published their latest bi – monthly newsletter. Click here to catch up with their news!
- Age Works! Wise Age Helps over 50% of their 50+ clients back into work. Wise Age – the first specialist 50+ employment agency in London – has just completed its pilot six month Age Works programme, and it has been a great success. Over half of the 50+ clients that started on the programme have now found employment. Click here to find out more about what Wise Age may be able to offer.
- Ageing Well: A Housing Manifesto The Older People’s Housing Champion’s network has produced a Housing Manifesto which includes ten recommendations that they believe are important for all working in housing, health and care to ensure that all older people have access to a decent home in later life. They are a national network of older activists who support action by older people’s groups across England to improve housing and housing related services for an ageing population. Click here to download the manifesto.