Opportunities for Action
- DisabledGo has been working in partnership with Lambeth Council for nearly a year to provide accessibility information to over 200 venues in the area. DisabledGo was designed to help improve the lives of disabled people, their friends, family and carers. The guide is available online at http://www.disabledgo.com and the Accessibility Checker is free to use. DisabledGo invite you to attend their Engagement event for Lambeth’s Accessibility Checker. It’s on Wednesday 06 September, and further details may be found here.
- The Nottingham Arts Team at Nottingham City Council are holding a conference around Local Government, The Arts and Older People, looking at innovative approaches to improve the Health and Wellbeing of older people. The conference will be held in Nottingham on Tuesday 05 September. Click here to find out more, and see the registration details.
- The British Museum’s Community Partnerships team are working on an older people and creativity project, connected to the Age Friendly Museums Network and linked with the Hokusai exhibition currently showing at the museum. Contact details if you would like to know more, or see if you could be involved are: Laura Phillips and Deborah Knight.
- The Smart Energy GB in Communities Fund is seeking applications from not-for-profit organisations who can help engage people and communities across Great Britain with smart meters and the rollout. Click here for details on how to apply. Deadline for applications is Friday 19 July. You may sign up for the Smart Energy GB in Communities quarterly newsletter here.
For your information
- Alert: Fraudsters claiming to be from HMRC – Herts Police receive alerts from the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) who are the information part of Action Fraud, the UK police’s fraud reporting centre. Herts Police would like to alert older residents to current frauds and scams that may affect them. One type of fraud that is on the increase and is particularly impacting on older people who are at home in the daytime is where fraudsters phone older people at home claiming to be the tax office (HMRC) and telling them that they have a tax debt from years ago. They claim to have legal documents and even a warrant for their arrest, and that they must pay their debt immediately or they will be arrested. As you can imagine, this has caused distress to elderly recipients of these calls. The residents are often being asked to make these payments in iTunes vouchers (often elderly people don’t know what iTunes vouchers are, so don’t realise that this payment method would never be used by the tax office). Click here for more details on this crime type on the Action Fraud website.
- The Senior Citizen Liaison team Charity focus upon protecting the vulnerable, senior community from financial harm . They produce a quarterly senior safety magazine called the Senior Siren which has now been in print for 7 years and seeks to provide a safety publication for the senior community, whilst also offering some of the elements of a elder-themed lifestyle magazine. Click here to download your copy!
- The long awaited official Better Care Fund guidance – the Integration and BCF planning requirements for 2017-19 – has finally been published. The document sets out the detailed requirements for BCF plans, based on the 2017-19 Integration and BCF policy framework (publ. 31st March 2017). NHS England, the Department of Health (DH) and Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) have published the guidance, available on the NHS England and GOV.UK websites.
- The Lovejoy Centre Monthly Newsletter for July 2017 is out now. Click here to catch up with their news, including details of Aromatherapy Hand & Foot Massage.
- A guide by JobHero, the Entrepreneurship and Small Business Resource Guide has been recommended to us. They say “There’s no understating the importance of entrepreneurs and small business owners to the economy. You create jobs, spur innovation and provide in-demand products and services. And that’s why we created this Entrepreneurship and Small Business Resource Guide. Whether you’re a fledgling entrepreneur or a seasoned small business owner, you’ll find something of value among the more than 50 individual resources in this guide, which includes links to HR resources, marketing resources, helpful blogs and podcasts and a whole lot more.” Click here to access the guide.