Opportunity for Action
- Housing for Older People – Research & Policy Development: Tender Opportunity
The Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) is undertaking policy development in relation to the provision of suitable housing for older people. The policy development is part of a wider project on housing for older people, which will be informed by and run simultaneously alongside a piece of research, the aim of which is to provide a package of evidence around the demand for and supply of specialist housing and adapted housing for older people. The research and the policy development will be contracted separately, but contractors will be expected to work together to ensure policy options are grounded in evidence. This project in its entirety is supported by ministers across two Departments due to their interest in the Government response to the ageing population: The project is being commissioned by Kris Hopkins, Minister for Housing at DCLG, supported by Norman Lamb, Minister of State for Care and Support at Department of Health. Click here to find out more.
- We are pleased to announce that Alliance member Care & Repair England has been successful in their bid to the Big Lottery to roll out its Silverlinks** project (http://silverlinksprogramme.wordpress.com/).They have been awarded a 4 year grant totalling £1m to expand the pilot initiative into other areas of England.** Silverlinks connects older people who are facing a dilemma about their housing & care with another older person who has been through a similar situation. They can talk through the issues and be offered impartial information about possible options, thereby helping the person reach an informed decision.Through ‘Pass in on Housing & Care in later life’ workshops, active older people learn about their options & sources of advice and then pass this information on through friends, family and wider networks. Some older volunteers are also giving promotional talks about options and what their local the Care & Repair services can offer. Click here for their press release.
- The February Edition of Dignity News is available. Click here to view.
- Alliance member Positive Ageing in London invites you to a conference on 24 March on the theme of “Redefining Ageing”. Speakers include:
Lord Filkin CBE, Chair of the recently established Centre for Ageing Better, who also chaired the House of Lords Committee on Public Service and Demographic Change which produced the 2013 report “Ready for Ageing?”
Mary Sinfield, Chair of the Older People’s Reference Group for the New Dynamics of Ageing research programme.
The conference will be at Toynbee Hall, 28 Commercial Street, London E1 6LS, from 10.30 (Registration) to 2.45 pm. You can register via: http://pailondon.org.uk/events/
A full programme will be available soon.
- Alliance member National Energy Action is running the Nation’s Biggest Housewarming on Friday 28th March to coincide with Fuel Poverty Awareness Day. Click here for more information.
- Myageingparent and the Alliance have recently produced a Factsheet on ‘Caring from a Distance’. Click Here to view it.
- Please see enclosed letter on Alliance member Public Health England’s upcoming campaign to help people with dementia live well for longer sent today for your information. Click here to read.
If you would like to know more, or have any questions about this letter, please contact email@example.com
- Alliance member The Leeds Older People’s Forum February Newsletter is now available. Click here to read.
- The February edition of Alliance member the South West Forum’s Newsletter is available. Click here to view.
In this week’s edition we welcome as new members: